VMware Cloud Community
mcollins101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esx server not picking up its license

I had to rebuild one of my esx servers yesterday - but it now won't pick up it's license from the license server. Is there anything I should be doing to ensure it can?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vm_arch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay

Have a look under ADMIN>Licenses. I am guessing you have no licenses available (because it didn't drop the license from the previous install)

You will need to remove that server from vCenter and then refresh your license server (using the FlexIM license software that vcenter installed to your server)

Once you can see under ADMIN>Licenses an available license, readd your server and you are away!.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vm_arch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Was it an upgrade or a complete reinstall?

2. If it was a full reinstall, did you remove it from vCenter BEFORE re-adding it?

mcollins101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was a format and install from clean

No I didn't remove it. I just reconnectedd to the ip address of the server after it came back up

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

disconnect and remove the host from vCenter, then "add host" back in.

vm_arch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay

Have a look under ADMIN>Licenses. I am guessing you have no licenses available (because it didn't drop the license from the previous install)

You will need to remove that server from vCenter and then refresh your license server (using the FlexIM license software that vcenter installed to your server)

Once you can see under ADMIN>Licenses an available license, readd your server and you are away!.

0 Kudos