VMware Cloud Community
virtualisator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

enabling the converter plugin causes Infrastructure Client to abort immediately

Hi community,

I have a problem enabling the "VMware Conterter Enterprise 1.0" Plugin on my VMware Infrastructure Client running on my Laptop with XP Professional SP2.

I can connect with the IC to the Virtual Center 2.5 system and get the configuration and do all management stuff.

I was able to download and install the plugin.

But as second step you need to enable it under "Plugin" -> "Manage Plugins..." the "Installed" Tab.

As soon as I mark the checkbox "Enabled", my entire Infrastructure Client aborts.

How can I enable this Plugin?

Can this maybe done in a file or registry variable?

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have found a solution although it is one that doesn't make sense.

I can't update the server to 2.5 update 1 because of other software I am using. I did update my client to 2.5 update 1 but the problem still existed.

I found in the logs "C:\Documents and Settings\USERID\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VMware Converter Enterprise\Logs" that

Exception: SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ssleay32.dll:126

I put this file there and was able to enable the plugin and us it with no problem.

The strange part is that this file is also located in \Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5 directory and the \Virtual Infrastructure\Plugins\Converter Enterprise directory on my PC and the other working PC. However, the other working PC did not have the file in the \Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ and it worked fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have seen this issue after I first installed my VC client, on every client machine that I used. It was transient, however, and retrying did let me enable the plugin the 2nd or 3rd time I tried. Strange behavior, but I don't have an exact solution for you.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
virtualisator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi KjB,

thanks for the post. I tried this 5+ times without success. I installed the "Update Manger" plugin and could enable it without problems. I tried with a different user, but still it aborts on checking the "enabled" box.

I will try another reinsall. If someone has an idea in the meantime, I'd appreciate a note.

Thanks

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

have you checked if your VI Client is up2date? I know that there are at least two different VI Client 3.5.0 Versions with different build numbers.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have just upgraded to 2.5 client and am experiencing the same issue enabling the converter plugin but the update plugin will enable fine. Has a solution been found? Other users on other PCs can enable both plugins just fine.

0 Kudos
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have found a solution although it is one that doesn't make sense.

I can't update the server to 2.5 update 1 because of other software I am using. I did update my client to 2.5 update 1 but the problem still existed.

I found in the logs "C:\Documents and Settings\USERID\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VMware Converter Enterprise\Logs" that

Exception: SSLLoadSharedLibrary: Failed to load library C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ssleay32.dll:126

I put this file there and was able to enable the plugin and us it with no problem.

The strange part is that this file is also located in \Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5 directory and the \Virtual Infrastructure\Plugins\Converter Enterprise directory on my PC and the other working PC. However, the other working PC did not have the file in the \Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
hphuhtin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This has something to do with library search order. If you do "dir /s ssleay32.dll" from your C:\-root, you'll see you have many copies of this file, some of which are different (size differs). So, the plugin for searches from it's working directory, then from.. somewhere else, apparently picking the wrong version. I didn't check. However, after copying the file from ..\2.5 to where it first looks for it, it works.

I ran into this issue after replacing the SSL sertificate with a one signed by our domain CA.

virtualisator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! This solves it:

Copy from

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\ssleay32.dll

to

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\ssleay32.dll

Then enable the Plugin and it works!

0 Kudos