VMware Cloud Community
BonnoB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

edit settings gives server fault error

Hi,

I have a TemplateW2k8R2_10aug2010 (speaks for itself WIndows 2008 R2 with ms patches up to 10aug2010)

I convert it to a VirtualMachine

When choosing Edit Settings

Error: The server fault 'SystemError' had no message

Call 'PropertyCollector.RetrieveContents' for object "PropertyCollector" on vCenter Server "HGLVC-01" failed.

I can start the VM, I can update the machine, pretty much everything I am supposed to be able to do with a VM

After that I can convert the VM back to a template.

From that new template (TemplateW2k8R2_21okt2010) I can deploy a VM and everything seems ok.

Did I try to do something foolish, or is this a bug?

I wanted to check the NIC as we had a name change on the virtual switch and I needed to see if that change was applied to the template.

This is a relative new ESXi 4.1 environment with vSphere Client 4.1.0 (build 258902) and vCenter Server 4.1.0 (build 258902)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

convert your template to a virtual machine, then leaving it powered down, make a note of the datastore in which is registered on. Then right click, remove from inventory. From there browse datastore, right click on the vmx "add to inventory". Does this fix your problem?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

convert your template to a virtual machine, then leaving it powered down, make a note of the datastore in which is registered on. Then right click, remove from inventory. From there browse datastore, right click on the vmx "add to inventory". Does this fix your problem?

0 Kudos
BonnoB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, that solved the problem. Thank you.

0 Kudos