VMware Cloud Community
dbeermat
Contributor
Contributor

downloading vcenter on a 64bit laptop for vcp training

Hi

I have been trying to download vcenter on my sony vaio laptop which uses a t6400 (64bit processor) running vista (x86 system based pc)

but i am getting issues loading vcenter,is it due to the 32 bit os on the laptop causing this error as the 64 bit processor is only running as an x86 system?

Also i do not have support fot vt technology but would this cause the download to fail?

any help appreciated

Martin.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter 4.1 is 64bit, so you need a 64bit OS. You have ESX hosts setup somewhere? I assume if you are trying to install vCenter, you will or do. Why not just create a 64bit VM and install vCenter on that?

...and just so you know, vSphere4.1 (ESX(i) and vCenter) are 64bit.

0 Kudos
dbeermat
Contributor
Contributor

would it be possible to run vcenter and esxi in workstation and the host operating system been 32 bit, but i would still need vt technology availble on my processor to run the 64 bit os. correct me if im wrong but vt technology support is there for 32 bit and 64 bit processors and if i rn workstation on a 32 bit host operating system,does the phyiscal cpu need to be 64bit or would i get away with a 32 bit machine with vt enabled?

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VT is only available for 64 bit processors. You can run 64 bit guests in VMware Workstation with 32 and 64 bit host OS's if VT is enabled in the BIOS.

BTW: Some older Sony notebooks do not have the option to enable VT in the BIOS even though the processor is 64 bit!

André

0 Kudos