VMware Cloud Community
rpatty
Contributor
Contributor

diskeeper problems - defrag maxed out thin provisioned vmdk; how to shrink?

Guess this is a two-parter. Background is we realized that a Diskeeper auto-defrag somehow caused a thin-provisioned disk to expand to the full amount alotted to it on several machines. As one example, a machine with a 200 GB disk was only using 90 GB, and the rest was still free, and after the defrag the VMDK expanded to 200 GB, even though the machine still only has 90 GB of data on it.

1. So the first question is, is this a known issue with Diskeeper? Has anyone else experienced it? And is there a workaround/setting for thin provisioned disks, or are they incompatible?

2. Second question is, is there a way to shrink the vmdk and get that space back? Or, more to the point, is there a way to get that space back without having to turn off the VM? I've seen a bunch of wildly conflicting info in online searches. It seems like using Converter would allow us to do it, but it'd involve turning off the old and turning on the new, which would cause some service interruption. So many other things can be done with the VM still active, it seems like there ought to be a way to fix this, too. Also, because a few large machines expanded overnight, space is at a real premium, and I'm concerned about cloning machines and adding to the storage issues.

We tried a Storage VMotion, thinking that might reset the space being used when it set up the thin provisioning, but it stayed at full size during the transfer. I know there's a "shrink" option in VMware tools, but I don't quite understand it, and it's saying it can't be used on a disk not in persistent mode, which I don't think we want in the first place.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Background is we realized that a Diskeeper auto-defrag somehow caused a thin-provisioned disk to expand to the full amount alotted to it on several machine

No, not possible. 30GB VMDK, 20GB data (example). The data is simply redistributed, but it does not GROW as a result. 20GB of data is still 20GB of data, whether or not it's fragmented or reorganized is irrelevant. The data doesn't grow, it's just moved.

1. So the first question is, is this a known issue with Diskeeper? Has anyone else experienced it? And is there a workaround/setting for thin provisioned disks, or are they incompatible?

Tried asking Diskeeper, see what their thoughts are?

2. Second question is, is there a way to shrink the vmdk and get that space back?

Thin provision disks will reclaim the space on their own. If you want to shrink you have to convert it (VM Converter) otherwise.

0 Kudos
rpatty
Contributor
Contributor

You can say it's not possible, and I would have said it didn't seem likely, but we had 5 nowhere-near-full VM's fill up their VMDK files, despite not having their actual data grow at all, the night after we installed Diskeeper, so that really does seem to be what triggered it.

I plan on checking in with Diskeeper, too, but really want to fix the pressing VM issues first. Also, Diskeeper nearly useless any other time we've talked to them, like when Intelliwrite was corrupting our Outlook .ost files, so I wanted to start here.

"Thin provision disks will reclaim the space on their own."

Everything I've read says that thin provision disks will grow as needed but never reclaim space and shrink. Do I have that wrong?

0 Kudos
rpatty
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, looks like I finally found a good solution. Combination of using a Sysinternals tool called sdelete to zero out the empty space, followed by a Storage VMotion. No service interruption necessary, working very well.Process is outlined here:

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/vsphere-virtualization-vmware/vmware-esx-4-r...

0 Kudos