VMware Cloud Community
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

delegate rights specific to Storage Admins

We have a storage provider and I need to give them access to be able to add LUNs/modify- Bascially storage stuff, since they are the ones supporting storage provisioning.

Dont want to give them Administrator access.

what is the best way?

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Baz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This would be worth a try:

Create a new administration role, and add this specific privilege:

Host -> Configuration -> Storage Partition Configuration

Barry

0 Kudos
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Baz...

Is this in the VI client? or in the Virtual center itself?

I have ESX 3.0.2; went to Virtual center and tehn in Permission tab and the "Storage Partition Configuration" is not here

nuthin

nuthin
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You have to create a new role and call it: > "Storage Partition Configuration"

0 Kudos
Baz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is how I did it in VI 3.5 / VC 2.5

Click the Administration button in the VI client

Click Roles

Click Add Role

enter a name for the role, eg "storage admin"

Expand Host, then Configuration

Tick "Storage Partition Configuration"

Once that is done, go back to to the Hosts and Clusters view, and click the relevant host or datacenter, etc that you want to assign the permission to

Click the permissions tab

Right click and choose Add Permission

Choose a windows user or preferably group in the left hand side, and choose your new role (storage admin) in the right hand side

You may need to add other privileges depending on what they need to do, but start with just that one

0 Kudos
chaicka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The environment I am in also has a separate storage resource management team which we need to allow them the necessary access to manage LUNs (eg. add LUNs, delete LUNs, add DataStores, delete DataStores, rename DataStores). Basically, the team is to manage all storage-related resource.

ESX 3.5 U2 with VC 2.5

Thus, besides the privileges of All Privileges | Host | Configuration | Storage Partition Configuration as adviced by Bazman, is it necessary to include All Privileges | Datastore | Rename Datastore, Remove Datastore, Browse Datastore, Remove File, and File Management (refer to the attached screenshot)?

0 Kudos