VMware Cloud Community
TandyBrands
Contributor
Contributor

data migration, vCenter Server 4.0 to 4.1 (and new server)

Existing server:

windows 2008  32 bit

vCenter Server 4.0

New server:

Windows 2008 R2

2008 SQL Server Management Studio (The VMWare fellow told me to install this when I got hung up)

So I followed the articles:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022137

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102438...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102163...

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

I've talked to support.  They threw out the additional articles (they seem to like to do that).  Read those as well.

Now, when the actual backup.bat script runs, the first error I run into is this:

[WARNING] VMware vCenter Update Manager does not use the default database name VIM_UMDB.
[WARNING] Only SQL Server Express is supported for database backup.
[WARNING] Skipping database backup.

VIM_DB.jpg

Further, as can be seen from the version, this indeed is SQL server express 2005, so I'm not sure what I am missing.

The script continues after that error, asking if I want the Host patches backed up (I selected Y), then it asks about VM Patches, I select Y.  I get one WARNING message:

[WARNING] Cannot find VM patch binaries and they will not be included in the backup.

The program finally fiinshes out with:

[INFO] vCenter Orchestrator configuration was successfully backed up

[INFO] vSphere configuration backup script completed successfully

I copy the Datamigration folder over to the new server, and run the Install.bat file. It runs, it asks for the CD, it installed vCenter Server 4.1, I tke the defaults, everything looked good so far.  I've attached the output of the script here.

It came to the point when the Update manager went to install, and it got to the point asking either install a new DB, or go create a 32 bit DSN.  I rabbit trailed there for a long time (lots of googling), finally called back into support, got a hold of a tech.  That was two more hours and finally realizing he does not really know anything about the Datamigration, so he's recommending I uninstall everything and manually install SQL server 2008 (express maybe, or maybe he meant 2005 express).  Thus I've decided to create a post here, in hopes someone with a bit more knowledge can actually tell me what I SHOULD be doing.

Finally, I can tell something is not right when I go into SQL Server Mgmt Studio and I cannot expand the VIM_VCDB database. Then looking at the Logis (under the security tree)there is only BUILTIN\Users and sa, which has an arrow showing it is disabled.  I have no way of logging into the DB as an admin. (ignore the red line, that was my attempt to add my Domain Admin account in.

VIM_DB-2.jpg

So, any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TandyBrands
Contributor
Contributor

So,

An update to what I have done today.  The VMWare rep never called me back (he scheduled to call at 8 AM CST). Around 3:30 PM Got email from him he was busy, and now leaving work, will call on Monday. Ugh..

So, in the mean time, it turns out I got past the whole Admin access thing by right-click Run-As-Administrator on the SQL server Mgmt Studio (Doh!). It's alway the simple things we overlook.

I installed vSphere client, and everything came up, except for a complaint about Update manager.  So, I did do a backup (manually) of the VIM_UMDB file, and subsequently stopped update manger service, then did a restore of the DB to the new server (Remember, yesterday the Update manager ran through the install from the DataMigration BAT file even though there was not a DB backed up).

Now, I still started the vSphere client, and get the following:

UpdateManager Error.jpg

So, everything else seems to be working except for that.  Now can someone assist?

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
TandyBrands
Contributor
Contributor

So, just for those that might reference this at another time.  The fix was to re-install Update manager.  The Tech at VMWare did not know how else to fix this, until after we did that and then he thought that we might have needed to convert the old DB and then import it.  A bit late for me however, to me was not a big deal, I did not have baselines and the such previously defined that I would have been worried on loosing.

0 Kudos