VMware Cloud Community
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor

create virtual machine - status in progress then operation timed out

Hi

Virtual infrastructure server 2.01.1 and 5 ESX server 3.0.1

From some days when I try to create new virtual machine (standard machine as linux or other also), the process begin (status in progress) then after some times (about 7-8 minutes) I get the error timed out. I cannot now create new VM. VMS storage is on VMF partitions on SAN infrastructure and there are no problems with space ( I try create a machine with only 4 Gb and the free space is about 300 Gb).

With the console I can continue to manage existing VM ( add disk, add memory, change network, move and migrate, take a snapshot.manage snapshot...) but I cannot create a new one.

I just have to restart the machine runing virtual center, but the problem is still present.

Do you have some experience about this issue ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody has ideas with this timeout ?

thanks

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have had a similar issue with creating new VMs from templates which I created. Within recent tasks the operation appears to start however it then sits in Progress before timing out. However if I select the template again and allow VC console to do a quick refresh after all the LUNS appear presented on the Resources tab the machine starts to build. This appears to be a limitation of SQL on the VC server delaying connecting to the template location. Could be related

0 Kudos