VMware Cloud Community
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

create around 25 machines in a single request

Hi,

In my test environment, I had to create around 25 virtual machines with same configuration (all VMs having same OS, Disk, Memory).

Since i had to create them one by one, it is taking longer for me to create all the VMs and configure their attributes.

Is there any simple or automated way where i can choose one set of configuration and create as many VMs as i wish in one single sho, in order to save some timet.?

Please provide your inputs.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If thats your rest environment and i would suggest you twp possible ways.

1. vmware view: you can use view 4.5 to deploy large no. of VM's with same configurations and standards although the Vm would be using linked clone technology.

and if you dnt have view in place than Power CLI can help you:

"

$vmhost = Get-VMHost "hostname" $ds = Get-Datastore "datastore_name" $rp = get-resourcepool "pool_name" #Desired VM name $vmname = "vm_name" New-VM -name $vmname -VMHost $vmhost -numcpu 2 -DiskMB 10240 -memoryMB 4096 -datastore $ds -guestID rhel5_64Guest -resourcepool $rp -cd -NetworkName dvPortGroup_Internal_VLAN110 To add an additional hard disk to the new VM: Get-VM $vmname | New-HardDisk -CapacityKB (8*1gb/1024)    "

Note: Alternative -guestID options: windows7Server64Guest (2008 R2) winNetEnterprise64Guest (2003 x64 Ent)

As well you may look over http://communities.vmware.com/thread/315193 and ammend the script according to large no. of VM's.

Hope thats help you! Thanks

0 Kudos
Generious
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos