VMware Cloud Community
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cold vmotion failure general system error

i'm moving a vm from one lun to another using vmotion.

the vm is 16gb and 40gb for disk.

it migrates to 100% then fails with "a general system error has occurred: internal error"

what logs can i view to see why it is failing?

i ran other vmotions cold to that lun and they went fine. there is certainly enough disk available.. and it isn't a block size issue.

right now i'm just copying the entire folder via veemscp. great app.. any thoughts?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
aozm48
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately we have still managed to reproduce this error using VC 2.0.2 and ESX 3.0.2. We've pushed this back onto support and are awaiting a response

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
Bspeerly
Contributor
Contributor

just to add my two cents. We are having the same problem, but intermittently. What I've seen is that you will try to migrate one particular machine and it will fail, but trying it again later it will succeed. Some machines will go no problem, but others fail, then may move no problem if you try again, so it doesn't seem to be machine related per se. We are running ESX 3.0.2 and VC 2.0.2.

0 Kudos
aozm48
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi BSpeerly

That's exactly what we are seeing in our cluster, same versions of VC and ESX. I've heard back from support, and they have confirmed that have replicated this bug in ESX 3.0.2, and it's again with Engineering

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here, using 3.0.2 and 2.0.2

0 Kudos