VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

clean or upgraded vCenter

Hi,

Following this article:

VMware Knowledge Base

I want to determine which vCenters in my organizations were upgraded or installed from a clean installation.

Is there a way to know that?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is pretty difficult to say directly..

If its VCSA, a new appliance is built for VCSA 6.5, 6.7 so there are less options you can figure it out unless there are some stale entries of old service registrations etc on the VCSA/PSC.

If its windows, due to time when the vCenter was upgraded , there might be a rollback of logs

Better to figure it out from the log snippet on vmdird logs as per the KB article

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I think if you have many configuration and modification on the vsphere infrastructure, like creating vsphere distributed switches, host profiles, content library and so on, I think it's better to choose upgrade instead of new installation to avoid risks of any downtime, orphaning objects or lose of vCenter related components. Especially VMware put an option of migration from windows-based vCenter server to the appliance-mode in the VCSA installation console.

Until you can upgrade the vCenter in any form of deployment (even with the external PSC), it's better to choose it and avoid clean setup

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos