VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert

changing AD domain membership for vcenter ... will it break anything?

vccenter 5, 4 hosts all esxi 5

I need to change the vcenter from the existing (old - migrating away from) domain into the new AD domain.

Other than making sure that all host names (esx hosts, plus vcenter name itself) are in the new domain DNS, and that the new DNS servers are configured for the vcenter server - what do I need to worry about or do to make sure there are no hair-balls?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

wow - I can't believe I'm the only person who has needed to do this --

I can speculate as to what the issues may be, and what process would minimize those issues, but it would be nice to hear from those that have "been there, done that" ....

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just make sure that you have an admin account from the new domain setup on the vCenter so you can access it also after the migration.

Otherwise, DNS must run correctly and if you are using the ODBC connection with windows auth, you need to make sure that it can connect to the DB.

And of course, I would first stop the vCenter Service before changing domain memberships... Smiley Happy

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...