VMware Cloud Community
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

change vCenter Server SQL db from 2005 express to 2005 full?

I ran into an issue overnight with the db on the vCenter Server (SQL Express installed during the installation of vCenter Server) grew above the limit set in SQL Express (a lame 4GB)... I've managed to get it down to a size where I can actually run vCenter Server again. In the interest of NOT running into this problem again I'd like to be able to shift the db's over to my SQL 2005 server (a VM). Is this advisable, do-able, or should I install SQL 2005 (standard) onto the vCenter Server (not my first choice)? I'm looking to do this before the end of the weekend, so that the db doesn't get too large again (would prefer to do this today in fact). I'm looking for the best option, that won't require me to have the skills from being a dba for 10 years (which I don't have since I'm not a SQL dba)...

I'm running ESXi 4u1 (244038) for the host, with vCenter Server 4 (208111) if that makes any difference. I did start to use vDR to backup my VM's last night. That's probably why the db grew too large... Especially since the errors (event log) showed the messages some time after the updates were completed...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you can, It would be better to have your DB separate, even another VM would be ok. I would consider setting up a DRS rule to keep the two together to help with performance if you decide to go the VM route.

See this KB article with steps on how to move the instance

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

If you go the VM route I would also think about creating a vAPP resource group for these guys also

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

VMware vExpert 2009

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Come check out my blog: www.beaverdam.net/blog

Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

(a lame 4GB)

Well it's not lame considering SQL Express is a FREE product, and the documentation for the product identifies it as a "small or test environment" and not for production.

over to my SQL 2005 server

Can't shift it, you basically have to export the data and import it. It MIGHT work, but probably not. Most likely you have to start over with a FRESH SQL 2005 or even 2008 database.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

This is in my home lab/test environment... What do I need to do on the vCenter Server side to point it to other (full) SQL 2005 server or the new location of the existing db?

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if the DB instance is already moved, update your ODBC settings and point to your new instance. Then restart the vCenter Server Service.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

What do I need to do on the vCenter Server side to point it to other (full) SQL 2005

Real simple, edit the connection settings (ODBC) that points to the SQL instance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm inclined to agree. SQL Express is lame.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

It's also not so easy to shift from the express to full version for the db... I'm having to restore from my backup, from before anything was done to the db, so that I can upgrade it to the full version of SQL and THEN think about relocating the db over to my dedicated SQL 2005 server/VM... I just hope that I don't need to reinstall the vCenter software onto the VM too...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos