VMware Cloud Community
jblanc03
Contributor
Contributor

cant add an NFS datastore to Host

Vcenter Server 4.1

ESX 4.1

I have 2 hosts in my cluster

I have an NFS datastore presented to both hosts with all my VM data on it.  Everything was fine and dandy until........

I recently disconnected one host from my cluster for maintenance.

Shorlty after, i reconnected the host back into my cluster.  it came up and reconfigured itself for HA.

I go to check my datastores in Storage View and to my suprise i can only see my NFS datastore on one of my hosts!

the one i disconnected and reconnected no longer showed the NFS data store.

So i went and attempted to re-add it and got this error:

I tripple checked to make  sure i was inputing the path correctly

Can anyone explain?

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi jblanc03

Please let us know if you have done below basic step so that we can suugest other possibilites.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200295...

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
jblanc03
Contributor
Contributor

i read this and it does not apply to me.

I only have 1 NFS data store. And both hosts were presented with it earlier. IT worked great for many months. As i stated in my thread, after i disconnected my Host from the cluster and re-connected it, it would not let me add it back. Its still on my other host.

tracking?

0 Kudos
jblanc03
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks alot.

But unfortunately this did not help.

I followed it to the T

It was not enabled under Security profile, so i enabled it like the  instructions say.  it did not work when i went to add storage.
i keep getting this error:

I made sure i can ping the NFS server from the host and my VMkernal is working properly

anyother suggestions?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So, one host is good but the one you added back to vCenter is not, correct? Have you verified that the IP address of the host you are adding back (VMKernel IP) has permissions to the NFS volume?  WHat storage are you using for your NFS volume.

0 Kudos
jblanc03
Contributor
Contributor

Okay i figured it out!!!!

just so you all know in case you run into this issue,

Make sure that your VMkernel Default Gateway is specified.

I  went to My host and went to Configuration> and underneath Software  on the left>DNS and Routing and clicked on Properties and manually  typed in my VMkernel Gateway IP.

it must of gotten erased when i disconnected the host.  I just  didn't disconnect from the Cluster but i also physically disconnected it  from the Physical switch as well.  I think thats why it got erased.
anyways

thank you all for your help.

i learned alot today.

0 Kudos
jblanc03
Contributor
Contributor

Okay i figured it out!!!!

just so you all know in case you run into this issue,

Make sure that your VMkernel Default Gateway is specified.

I went to My host and went to Configuration> and underneath Software on the left>DNS and Routing and clicked on Properties and manually typed in my VMkernel Gateway IP.

it must of gotten erased when i disconnected the host. I just didn't disconnect from the Cluster but i also physically disconnected it from the Physical switch as well. I think thats why it got erased.

anyways

thank you all for your help.

i learned alot today.

0 Kudos