VMware Cloud Community
TiborMarchyn
Contributor
Contributor

cannot connect ISO to virtual machine

Hi,

i have installed vCenter Server 4 and connect there 2 ESX 4 servers. vCenter server runs on different port 65443.

Problem is when I want to connect ISO image from my local computer to virtual machine through vSphere Client i got a message "A secure connection to the host could not be established"

When I connecting ISO form NFS repository everything goes fine.

i tried to reinstall client but not helps.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
carrmic
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

I suspect this is due to your client machine not being able to talk to the managemtn/SC interface on the host that the VM is running on, on port 903. Usually network or firewall related. ALso check name resolution for the host works from the client machine. Edt the hosts file on your windows box if necessary to test it

0 Kudos
carrmic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not having any trouble resolving the names from the client. I'm trying to do this from vSphere Center server machine and I can ping my ESX 4 servers without a problem. My firewall does allow port tcp/903 through but I'm actually not seeing the access count increment when I attemp to connect the CD-ROM ISO file. I'm not seeing any blocks in my ASA firewall logs. It's possible this has been broken since I upgraded to vSphere 4 from ESX 3.5. I can't remember the last time I tried to connect a disk. It seems like it's not even making the attempt over the network at this point. Yet I can view the console and change configurations of the VMs without a problem.

0 Kudos
dreik
Contributor
Contributor

I've exactly the same problem. I had found this issue right after installing vCenter 4.0. No matter on which version of ESX server VM runs. I had tested 4.0.0 175625 and 3.5.0 176894 both under vCenter 4.0.0 162856

Thanks, dreik
0 Kudos
carrmic
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't found anything useful in the knowledge base or forums yet. I've opened a ticket with VMware and I'm waiting to hear back. If we get it resolved, I'll post back. In the meantime if anyone is aware of a fix, please let us know.

0 Kudos
carrmic
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I discovered part of the problem and a workaround with support. I can attach if I directly connect to the ESX server with the vSphere Client. To get it working from vCenter you have to be running your HTTPS port on the default 443. We have non-standard ports running for vCenter HTTP and HTTPS. Fortunately, I'm able to use 443 without a conflict for now.

The technician was stating that VMware could only support the standard ports but I explained that worked fine with Virtual Center 2.5. I'm trying to escalate the issue to see if it can work on a non-standard HTTPS port as it did in the past. However, for now the answer is to use the standard port 443 for vCenter or connect directly to the ESX server.

Hope that helps someone else.

0 Kudos