VMware Cloud Community
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

cannot access vmware host

Hey guys,

got a vcenter server running within a vsphere environment. We can log into the vcenter server but not directly into the host. Username and passwords are the same as vcenter settings more or less (mostly my own personal account which is being used is definitely showing up as an administrator on both). Even though I cannot telnet into port 902 on either machine, the vcenter client will let me in. I can also ping the hosts in the cluster but simply cannot login to them. Have attached the pic message... I know what you're thinking... either username or password wrong or rights not been set but neither of these are the case. Most confused on this one :smileyconfused: ... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

can you log directly into a host using the root account ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Unless you explicitly setup AD authentication on the host itself, you will likely need to use a local account to login directly (e.g. root).

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah it was setup originally (not by myself, but someone else) with AD integration so that we use our AD accounts to access the environment. I have used the AD admin account and my account (which is a domain admin account), but still it won't let me login. Most confusing. ??

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

If you have the root account, I'd log into it with that and see if AD auth is just flaking out.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

If you install VCenter5, there is a new feature call "Lockdown mode" check if it isn't activated, in VCenter go to the host you have te problem, then Configuration Tab, then Security Profile (left-down menu), then scroll to the "LockDown Mode". In order to acces the opcion must be disable.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

How did you get on with this?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

Oh yeah, forgot about this, sorry been busy. Finally sorted it. Fortunatey I was able to go through my old colleagues emails and find the root password. Then I just logged in via vsphere and enabled the telnet option on the hosts. If I hadn't found that root password though, it would have been a serious mess and from what I read I would have basically had to reset all the VM's on the hosts... yikes, I didn't relish the thought of that.

Tnx for all the response guys.

0 Kudos