VMware Cloud Community
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

can't vmotion/svmotion vm - compatibility error

I upgraded few ESX hosts (and VC) to vSphere/vCenter. Almost everything works fine (at least windows machines). But I have 2 linux VMs (centos 5.2) that after upgrading their hardware to version 7, can't be vmotioned/svmotioned while powered on, because it says

"Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine requirements at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'.

I googled for it, but every result points to server incompatibilities. But here all servers are exactly the same (dell pe2950 with the same cpu). and also other VMs (also linux ones-centos) work fine. This just happened for 2 my vms. Of course I can shut it down, and migrate, but I would like it to work online Smiley Wink

Am I missing something?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

See if kb 1011294 helps.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

See if kb 1011294 helps.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yep, that helped. Thanks for this tip.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos