VMware Cloud Community
ViennaAustria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can one vCenter Cerver manage other vCenter Server?

Hi!

Several customers of us have vCenter Servers running for their IT. It is sometimes difficult to navigate between those vCenters.

Would it be possible to control them from one superior vCenter server? I don't mean to move their hosts/datacenters into one central vCenter server but to manage their unmodified vCenter servers [and of course the included hosts] with one central vCenter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

• vCenter Server Linked Mode — vCenter Server systems can be interconnected in Linked Mode, which allows administrators to share roles and licenses across multiple connected vCenter Servers. Administrators can get an overview of their entire inventory by launching a single vSphere Client session. The vSphere Client also supports a granular search interface that searches all objects across multiple vCenter Server systems. See vSphere Basic System Administration.

Refer below link:Features of vsphere

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_40_new_feat.html

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

• vCenter Server Linked Mode — vCenter Server systems can be interconnected in Linked Mode, which allows administrators to share roles and licenses across multiple connected vCenter Servers. Administrators can get an overview of their entire inventory by launching a single vSphere Client session. The vSphere Client also supports a granular search interface that searches all objects across multiple vCenter Server systems. See vSphere Basic System Administration.

Refer below link:Features of vsphere

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_40_new_feat.html

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can look more into vCenter Linked Mode. where you can view 2 vcenters from a single logon ..

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your discussion has been moved to the vCenter Server forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/mgmt/vc.

0 Kudos
ViennaAustria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At first: thank you for your help!

But then it's bad news:

When I try to engage linked mode, the wizard complains that there is no AD domain. That's a prequisite. Okay, no problem.

When I try to `dcpromo´ the server, where vCenter is installed on, it complains about an already existing LDAP service. That one is from vCenter.

When I stop & remove the vCenter's LDAP server, `dcpromo´ generates a perfect domain. But vCenter won't run any more. Of course because of the lack of information in the LDAP server. So I have to dump out the LDAP information that's stored in the vCenters LDAP server before I run dcpromo and put it back into the Microsoft LDAP afterwards.

But how?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos