VMware Cloud Community
amurph
Contributor
Contributor

administrator role can't assign permissions? um...

Apologies if this is covered in another thread, I searched but didn't find what I was looking for.

I gave a user admin rights on a cluster. (multiple clusters under the datacenter for multiple independent groups). I used the default admin role. That user can do everything someone with admin rights should be able to do, but can't create/modify permissions on their cluster. I'm obviously missing something. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Does that user have administrative rights on that cluster? Is he part of another group that does not thatpriveledge assigned directly to that object?- remember permissions assigned directly to an object take precedence over those that are propogated -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
amurph
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I figured it out. The user has to have permission to modify the permissions both on the object you want to assign the permission to, as well as the parent of that object. I just thought the permissions had to be granted on the object itself.

the things you can learn from reading the manual! lol.

0 Kudos