VMware Cloud Community
interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

add host to virtual center

Hi

after reboot to one esx server i couldn't connect to it from virtual center

i completely remove it from virtual center when i try to add it again i get error "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem."

when i try to connect to directly to the server with VIC i get "connection refuse"

if i access it from the web everything seems to fine

and i can connect to the server with ssh as well

i don't use dns only local host files on the VC and on the esx servers

i have another esx server that is configured the same and i have no issue with him

another lead is when i connect to the esx server with ssh i get a warning " Configuration changes were not saved successfully during previous shutdown.

Please file a problem report including output of vm-support."

I've try to reboot the esx server several times restart mgmt-vmware restart the vmware-vmkauthd service and pegasus service as well

nothing work

any ideas ?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Looks like your server encountered a dirty shut down (someone switched it off or pulled the power) and as a result some system settings/changes have not been saved. Or there is a file corruption.

What I would do is try and gain access to the console of the server directly and reboot the machine and view the start up process to see what messages flash up on the screen. Clearly you will find a service is failing to start and as a result you have lost connectivity to the host.

You might get a message indicating your file system needs a integrity check, run it to see if it fixes the problem.

MP

0 Kudos
interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

thank you for the answer

thats exactly what happened some guy pulled the network cables from the server

the server also have iscsi lun attach to it

and after the reboot the server boot to maintenance mode and ask to run fsck

I opened this thread after i run fsck and clean the file system rebooted the server few times and checked that booting sequence look ok and all services are coming up clean

\# service --status-all | grep running

crond (pid 957) is running...

vmware-hostd (pid 1000) is running...

cimserver (pid 1088) is running...

Ramchecker is not running

sshd (pid 1851 786) is running...

syslogd (pid 754) is running...

klogd (pid 758) is running...

VMware VMkernel authorization daemon is running (pid 2530).

vmware-vpxa is running

webAccess (pid 947) is running...

xinetd (pid 918) is running...

any more ideas

0 Kudos
conyards
Expert
Expert

try manually reinstalling the VC agent as follows:

\- Copy the vpx-upgrade-esx-6-linux-32042 from the upgrade folder in the VC folder to /tmp on the ESX server

\- run the command sh vpx-upgrade-esx-6-linux-32042

(By default the script is located in C:\program files\vmware\vmware virtualcenter\upgrade of the Virtual centre server)

After running the script, see if you have any joy...

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
0 Kudos
ach-iem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi;

got the same problem, but your idea didn't help.

does someone have an other idea?

regards

Achim

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you check if vpxa is running on your ESX box? Are there any errors in the vpxa logs (/var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log)?

0 Kudos
ach-iem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi;

we found out, that our ßsuperß Fujitsi-Siemens-Server have different numbert NIC-Interfaces!

So, we reconfigured this cheep Servers and then - it worked!

thanks for help

regards,

Ach-Iem

0 Kudos
interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

i tried to reinstall vpx with no luck

but in the vpxa log i have a lot of this errors:

\[2007-01-28 10:41:48.546 'App' 3558320 error] \[VpxVmdbCnx] Authd error: 554 PROXY service vim not found.

\[2007-01-28 10:41:48.546 'App' 3558320 error] \[VpxVmdbCnx] Failed to connect to host :902. Check that authd is running correct

ly (lib/connect error 11)

i check that authd is running i tried to restart it again with no luck

Thank you

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What version of ESX are you adding? If ESX 3.0 can you check that hostd is running (ps awx | grep hostd). Did you manually install vpxa?

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you verify that the vpxuser is deleted from the system and if not, manually delete it. The existence of this user could prevent the vpxa from installing

0 Kudos
interserve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok finally i gave up and reinstall the entire server

i try to install servral times but every time installation failed first i thought it was media or cd drive problem but it was the hd that cause the all the problems

after low level format i finally was able to install the server

i guess the hd problem with the file system corruption i had really made a mess to system

any way thank you all for all the help

0 Kudos
jjmc
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same issue as everyone else in this thread.

This is what we found that fixed it

mv /etc/vmware/hostd/vmInventory.xml to vmInventory.xml.old

For some reason something must have gotten corrupt in the vmInventory.xml and renaming it resolved our issue. After that we were able to re-add our host to Virtual Center.

Regards,

J.J.

0 Kudos
weilrahc
Contributor
Contributor

We had this problem also. Turned out the root partition was full and needed services were not running

0 Kudos
GVM
Contributor
Contributor

we had this problem also. full volume.

we made some space and re-named the vmInventory.xml file to .old and re-added to the VC2 console with sucess.

Be patient it took a while to re-add back to the VC2 console.

0 Kudos
VMwareSME
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jjmc, if i owned this question, i'd give you points! your tip worked for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
robmata
Contributor
Contributor

renaming the vmInventory.xml worked great. Didn't even have to reboot the host.Just readded the host back to the VC and it worked like a charm.

0 Kudos