VMware Cloud Community
VMScot
Contributor
Contributor

XHive Data Feed in vSphere

I have an error in my vSphere VC concerning the XHive Data Feed not running in the vSphere Service Status Area. I don't seem to have any issues but does anyone know what it is and what steps I can take to get it running again.

Cheers

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have this same error. Have you figured out how to resolve it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you guys look at the vws.log file that is with the vCenter logs you should see an error as to why xhive is not functioning correctly. Post the error and we can see if there is an error that is known.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response. I just searched my vCenter server and cannot find the vws.log file. Can you tell me where this would be located?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just found it. I see a lot of references to xhive but not sure which one is causing the error. I attached the file.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
virtualdude
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on vsphere 4 Vcenter.

Any clues on what could be causing the service not to run?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So the error here is the following:

DataFeed XhiveDataFeedImpl: com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.DataCollectorImpl database: VcCache is being started

com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.ChangeFeedContext@dc8cc6

com.vmware.vim.feed.exception.DatasourceException: The session is not authenticated.

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.Method.executeMethod(Method.java:229)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.Method.executeMethodSoapActionedInt(Method.java:177)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.Method.executeMethodAndParse(Method.java:124)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.Method.executeMethodAndParse(Method.java:83)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.Method.executeMethodAndParse(Method.java:70)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.LogoutMethod.execute(LogoutMethod.java:61)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.ChangeFeedContext.teardownContext(ChangeFeedContext.java:368)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.ChangeFeedContext.close(ChangeFeedContext.java:352)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.ChangeFeedContext.reset(ChangeFeedContext.java:254)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.DataCollectorImpl.reset(DataCollectorImpl.java:215)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.datasinkimpl.DataSinkImpl.reset(DataSinkImpl.java:192)

at com.vmware.vim.feed.collectorimpl.vim.DataCollectorImpl$DataCollectionWorker.run(DataCollectorImpl.java:104)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

It appears that the session is throwing not authenticated and thus it cannot start. What version of vCenter...I know that there were several bugs in the plugins fixed with U1 so it would be a good thing to get that applied and if you continue to see it open a ticket so that we can investigate further and track it with our engineering guys.

Cheers,

/Jonathan

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. We are running update 1. I'll keep an eye on it and open a ticket if it doesn't go away.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JonathanQuint
Contributor
Contributor

We found that after upgrading from vCenter 2.3 to 4.0 U1 that there was 1 vm that did not get upgraded in the database correctly.

We ran the following query to find the offending machines:

<span style="font-family: Courier New">SELECT e.name,vm.ID, DESCRIPTION, ANNOTATION, CONFIG</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">FROM VPX_VM vm, vpx_entity e</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">WHERE (CONFIG IS NOT NULL)</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">AND ((CONFIG LIKE '%VirtualLsiLogicController%')</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">OR (CONFIG LIKE '%VirtualBusLogicController%'))</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">AND (vm.ID NOT IN (SELECT VM_ID FROM VPX_VIRTUAL_SCSICONTROLLER))</span> <span style="font-family: Courier New">AND e.id = vm.id</span></span>

Shutdown the VM.

Removed VM from inventory

Added VM back into the inventory.

Powered on the VM

Restarted the VirtualCenter Server and Management Webservices, waited ~30 minutes and this issue as well as issues with searches were resolved.

0 Kudos
virtualdude
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried this and it fixed the problem. WOOOOHOOOO!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos