VMware Cloud Community
Swarfega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Virtual vCenter - Snapshot - Hosts Disconnecting

Morning,

Got an odd one. We have a virtual Windows vCenter Server. When we take a snapshot (with or without memory) all hosts on the vCenter briefly disconnect.  This happens in the last second of snapshot creation.

The backup of the virtual server takes a snapshot during the evening so the host disconnection is triggered every evening.

The strange thing is if I take a manual snapshot I can replicate the issue.  If I delete the snapshot and then create another the issue no longer occurs.  It seems to only occur after a period of time.

vCenter Version 5.0.0 build 455964.

14 x ProLiant DL380 G7

2 x 8GB Fibre Channel

1GB NICS

100GB RAM

12 x 3GHz CPU

Only 83 VM's.

Any tips on how I can diagnose this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
martind82
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Swarfega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sadly a different issue.

This is still happening but for now we created a rule to keep the vCenter server away from this host to prevent it from happening.  Not exactly a fix but a workaround.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a guess. Did you already take a look at the guest's event logs? Maybe this is a VSS related issue where VMware KB: Troubleshooting Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) quiesce related issues can help!?

André

0 Kudos
Swarfega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sadly the Windows event logs show nothing other than the host disconnections event (ID 701 in the application log).

ESXHOSTNAME01: Alarm 'Host connection and power state' on ESXHOSTNAME01 changed from Green to Red

ESXHOSTNAME02: Alarm 'Host connection and power state' on ESXHOSTNAME02 changed from Green to Red

ESXHOSTNAME03: Alarm 'Host connection and power state' on ESXHOSTNAME03 changed from Green to Red

etc

0 Kudos