VMware Cloud Community
Brandon73
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Customization/sysprep

I'm using VMWare View 4 and VMWare vSphere.

I'm trying to deploy a windows 7 pool using customization specifications. The pool seems to build just fine but the vm's are not given a new computer name, are not added to the domain, etc.... Sysprep is obviously not doing its thing. I'm also not having any luck searching for an answer to this yet sooo...

Is anyone cloning windows 7 vm's using syprep/customization specifications yet? How is it done now??

Thank you so much.

Sincerely, FRUSTRATED Smiley Happy (Brandon)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

W7 is not a supported guest OS for View yet.

0 Kudos
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've gotten it to work. I just followed the View documentation. Biggest problem I had was not installing some agent on the template machine. Without that agent the fastprep stuff doesn't work.

Also it seems to help to have the built-in administrator account enabled and set with no password.

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Are you talking about View agent coz even we are facing this issue ON & Off from quite sometime.

Regards,

Chhavi

0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I done a successful View 4 POC with Windows XP and Windows 7, both are worked well. In my office, i published around 15 Windows 7 Automated desktop from the view. so its all about the golden machine configurations.

why the agent installation is fails in windows 7? the major reason is windows 7 has UAC(User Access Controll), first diable the UAC on golden Image system and disable the firewall and do some fine tuning activity like disabling the aero features and windows indexing etc.,

i hopw this will help you to over come the issue.

Regards,

Rajasekar

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos