VMware Cloud Community
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 R2 NIC disconnected when converted from a template and started using start-vm workflow in VCO

Hi,

Have a very strange issue. I wanted to perform patching using a VCO workflow on both my Windows 2012 R2 template and Windows 2008 R2 templates. My Windows 2008 R2 template when converted and started by the VCO workflow does NOT get an ip address. Yet, when I manually turn on the Windows 2008 R2 template after being converted manually, it DOES get an ip address immediately. So weird.  There is no issue with Windows 2012 it works great. NOTE: The workflow that starts the vm only turns it on (and is a built in workflow built by vmware) Last, today I built a new template and has the same issue. NIC is VMXNET3 and problem sure seems to be OS specific, has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found this article and fix it. It looks like a known issue with VSphere 5.1

VMware KB: Registering or deploying a virtual machine template fails

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure whether this is related, but maybe worth looking at (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020078)

André

0 Kudos
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, I have stumbled on this one before. I can deploy from Template fine, I cannot service the template and get an ip.

pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI....Same issue with the E1000 adapter (working to rule things out)

0 Kudos
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found this article and fix it. It looks like a known issue with VSphere 5.1

VMware KB: Registering or deploying a virtual machine template fails

0 Kudos