VMware Cloud Community
tbullock
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 drops connection to VMs via the vsphere client

Ok, so i have weird issues with vsphere clients running on windows 7 dropping their connection to the VM's console when connected via vsphere client. If you are running XP you will stayed connected just fine.

When running winsows 7 and connected to a VM's console via vsphere client all of a sudden you will notice that the VM is not responding to your commands. After a few moments, the console screen will disappear and go the the black screen with VMWare symbol and attempting to reconnect to the console. This is not the vsphere client dropping connection to vcenter, that connection is still good. It is specifically the console access.

This will also affect things like if your VM's are attached to your local CD/DVD to installs, that too will drop and the install aborts.

I have disabled ipv6 thinking that may have been the issue, but it is not. Anyone heard of this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

IDK, it's working for me and I've had this running for several months now. Workstation is a whitebox, Win7pro-64bit, Core2Duo (Q9400), 8GB RAM. Connecting to vCenter 4.1 (258902) and ESXi 4.1 hosts (260247). And I have IPv6 still enabled in Windows, but I'm not using it. This is the primary machine I use the vSphere client on. I don't remember ever losing a console connection.

I don't connect CDs through the vSphere client. In the past, connecting that was wasn't reliable for me, so I've always either had the VM use the host's drive, or more commonly use ISOs stored on the datastores. (In my case, my ISOs are on a NFS connected Windows server.)

To be fair, all the VMs I'm running on the above environment are servers, so I don't need console access to them much. Daily management is done by RDP, and I use the console only when running updates. And again, if an app install/update is needed, then I'm running as an ISO or from the host's drive rather than through the client.

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There should not be any issues related to the OS type ..and Win 7 is good to go.Since you are saying it works fine with Win XP and vSphere Client connection has no issues ,I would suspect the problem to be only with Console access of the VMs.For that i would recommend few things to check ..

A. For Console access port 902/903 are responsible ...have a look at these

B.Many times the new updates of .NET creates issues with VI client.Make sure you have the correct version installed and no bugs on new patches

C.Can test separately connecting the VM from vCenter Server and again from the ESX via vSphere client

0 Kudos