VMware Cloud Community
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

Why isn't my 2008 template running sysprep when I deploy VM using template with customization manager?

I created a customization specification in the customization specification manager.

I created a windows 2008 vm, configured it, updated it, shut it down and converted it to a template.

I choose to deploy VM from template and I apply the customization specification I created.

When I boot up the newly created VM it goes to the logon screen and doesn't apply my customization and does not run sysprep. It's like I just converted the template back to a vm and booted it up.

How do i get this process to run sysprep and actually apply my customization?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what version of vCenter do you have? Also, the VMware Customization process takes about 20 or so seconds for it to kick in. So, initially you will see the guest at a login prompt and then will be rebooted again to start to customization process

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

What version of ESX are you running? Used to be with ESX 3.5 I think Update 1 and 2 your had to choose Vista as the operating system instead of Windows 2008. Also sysprep is in the operating system with 2008 so your do not have to put sysprep files on VC server.

Mike

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

I am using vsphere 4.0. Everything is up to date and has never been migrated from an older version.

I tried what you suggested about letting it boot up and sit at the logon prompt but it never reboots itself to kick off sysprep. It just sits there waiting for someone to log in.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what do you have identified as the guest OS for the template? Convert it to a VM, edit settings, click on the Options tab and Guest OS

It should match what Guest OS you have installed.

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

I am aware that I don't need to do anything special to copy sysprep files. it should just work out of the box.

After deploying the vm from template and letting it boot up I logged in and rebooted the VM. During bootup I saw a quick flash saying VMWARE IMAGE CUSTOMIZATION IN PROGRESS.

Then the logon screen appeared and I logged in and the customizations were still not applied.

I rebooted a 2nd time and it repeats the process saying VMWARE IMAGE CUSTOMIZATION IN PROGRESS during the reboot. It comes back to the logon screen and I log in and the customizations are still not applied.

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

The template is set correctly to the appropriate operating system(in my case Windows 2008 Standard X64 and Windows 2008 Standard X86) I have tried it with both a 32 and 64 bit 2008 standard template.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what I would try is deploy from template again, this time create a new customization spec and see if it works.

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to create a new customization. That didn't work. I've also manually used the wizard to create an on the fly customization and that didn't work either.

I made our password more simple(3 letters now). Tried the whole process again and still not working.

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

I tried changing the VM type to Vista to see if that helps. Same behavior.

When deploying from a template with a customization the server is not customized and after every reboot it says VMWARE IMAGE CUSTOMIZATION IN PROGRESS after EVERY reboot on the new VM.

0 Kudos