VMware Cloud Community
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why am I getting that there are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation?

I have three servers that I have been fighting with to get to talk to a hp 1510i, but that is a different ordeal. I have rebuilt 2 of the three servers and now when I try to re-add them to virtual center 2.5.0, i get "There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation." These machines were on in virtual center before I rebuilt them. I am not understanding why the licensing is not being happy. Can anyone give me some direction as to how to resolve?

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your image shows 0 licenses for virtual center agent, which is why you can't add. Check your hosts and see which servers are using which licenses. A restart should have cleared out the license count, which should have caused the hosts to re-sync the license info, which they will periodically anyway. This can take some time, depending on the refresh interval your host is on. Make sure you don't have more than 6 ESX hosts, as that is what you're licensed for. If that is not correct, check your license file as it does not have the correct info. You can always go online to the license portal and generate a new one.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Did you remove your hosts from VirtualCenter before you rebuilt them? If you go to the licensing section within VIC connected to the VirtualCenter how many free licenses does it read? Are you running host based licenses or a license server?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know that I removed at least one of them. I am not sure about the second one. From what I can see, I am showing plenty of licenses (see attached). We are doing centralized licensing.

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart your license server, and then re-try the connect.

-KjB

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I restarted the server. I am getting the same error.

Ken

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After restarting, I am showing ALL licenses being in use. Went from bad to worse. :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your image shows 0 licenses for virtual center agent, which is why you can't add. Check your hosts and see which servers are using which licenses. A restart should have cleared out the license count, which should have caused the hosts to re-sync the license info, which they will periodically anyway. This can take some time, depending on the refresh interval your host is on. Make sure you don't have more than 6 ESX hosts, as that is what you're licensed for. If that is not correct, check your license file as it does not have the correct info. You can always go online to the license portal and generate a new one.

-KjB

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

Check you license here: (copy/paste & save the new licens in your Lic folder, it's easy to read aswell)

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I add one server, it sucks up 4 virtual center agents. I am thinking something is seriously confused on my server. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I checked that before and it is valid.

Ken

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dont forget the licenses are per processor on the servers. Check your configurations License Source and make sure your DNS name is correct as well.

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is that happening on all of the upgraded servers? Can you back into the server configuration, licensing, and re-apply the settings to see if that gets fixed. Can you also run 'service mgmt-vmware restart' on the upgraded hosts?

-KjB

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

As kjb007 points out you have to reset your licenses/license server, try disconnect/remove all host's and restart vCenter server, then add ESX servers again. But before you add them make sure that you have 6 ESX agent licenses available.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removed all hosts from vCenter. Rebooted server (make sure the service really restarts Smiley Happy). Now our licenses appear as show in the attachment.

0 Kudos
avallk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for your help. I ended up re-downloading the consolidated license file, removing the license service and creating a new one. The environment is happy now! :smileylaugh: YAY!

0 Kudos