VMware Cloud Community
Ilikethat44
Contributor
Contributor

Where does VCenter pull the Domain Name from on ISCSI Initiator ?

I am wondering if someone can enlighten me where vCenter gets the Domain portion of a ISCSI Initiator. In my case all The look all similar to this...

iscsi_vmk(iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esxi-mgt-o2.netscreen-5200-iii:810305566:65)

in my case the netscreen-5200-iii is name of my router / firewall but i am not handing it out as a domain in the dhcp and all hosts are hard coded as far as ip's go. So i am wondering where does the system get this info from and how can i change it because  that is the info that also shows up in my unity storage. So hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Maybe a DNS reverse lookup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ilikethat44
Contributor
Contributor

Reverse DNS of what ? What ip will it reverse lookup ? Each host has a kernel for Management, VSAN and vMotion ?

My mgt kernel resolves the vsan and vMotion do not as these ports don't route and not accessible. 

After a bit more research i found that if i ssh into my servers and look at the /etc/hosts file i see the fully qualified hostname as esxi-mgt-o2.netscreen-5200-iii.
The only way i can see this happen is because of dhcp on bootup of host first time. It uses the hostname of dhcp and even so you go and set the hostname and ip manual after initial boot the system keeps the domain name from dhcp. The interesting part is that it seems it cant be changed from the gu or console only by editing the hosts file.

And to fix this you have to remove iscsi and add back in which is a huge pain in ass, so someone at vmware dropped the ball here

0 Kudos