VMware Cloud Community
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Where do I run vcbMounter for local backups?

Trying to backup local VMs from the console command line. This is for the stuff not on my SAN. I follow the vmware docs where it says to use vcbMounter (here: http://pubs.vmware.com/vi301/backup/vm_bug_appA.7.5.html).When I try to run vcbMounter from the console, it says command not found. I can't find the vcbMounter executable anywhere on my ESX 3.0.1 host. I DO have vcbMouter on my VCB server, but it doesn't like the syntax that VMware says to use. Plus with the syntax VMware shows, it would seem like they want you to run it on the console. So any ideas? Basically I just want to back up a running VM that is located on my local SAS array and then copy it to tape via TSM. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How did you login to the console?

did you su - to set the path?

Basically a simple command to backup a vm would be:

vcbmounter -h localhost -u root -p password -a name:vm1 -r /vmfs/volumes/storage1/backups/temp

The above command backs up a virtual machine called vm1 which is running on the local server. It uses the root ID and password to achieve this and dumps the output into the /backups/temp folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How did you login to the console?

did you su - to set the path?

Basically a simple command to backup a vm would be:

vcbmounter -h localhost -u root -p password -a name:vm1 -r /vmfs/volumes/storage1/backups/temp

The above command backs up a virtual machine called vm1 which is running on the local server. It uses the root ID and password to achieve this and dumps the output into the /backups/temp folder.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, I didn't know about the "-" that would set the path. I just used the plain su command. I am still a linux lightweight, so I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos