lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

When trying to migrate vm's

When trying to migrate VM's from one host to another using vmoton, I get the following error

Call "EnvironmentBrowser.QueryConfigTarget" for object "envbrowser-12347" on vCenter Server "servername" failed.

any ideas?

vSphere 5.0

hosts are 4.1.  I am trying to migrate vm's to other hosts so that I can upgrade the hosts.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem, please help...

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Have a look at the vpxd logs.  Going to need more information. Smiley Happy

Perhaps create a temp cluster and move your hosts to it.  Then see if you can vMotion your VMs.

0 Kudos
YucongSun
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to call the exact same method in /mob , the error returned is "Not Initilized"

I tried to create a new cluster and add one of my host there, it does work, but please make this work as well!

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Have you tried restarting the management agents on the host(s) and the vcentre service?

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart and vcenter service in vCenter server.

Regards,

Ian

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
YucongSun
Contributor
Contributor

please note the ESXi in question, is all ESXi 4.1. Vcenter however is 5.0

0 Kudos
fallentree
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled the whole vcenter on a clean image, the erros are now gone.

0 Kudos
sanchezs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had a similar problem today and it turned out to be an outdated NFS datastore:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200661...

Regards,

Sergio

UofS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also experiencing this immediately following the upgrade of  vCenter Server to 5.0 from 4.1.

I had an old NFS datastore whos IP had changed and the datastore had ISOs mounted via it at the time.  It was inactive but I could not remove it until I shutdown and connected directly to the host and changed to "Client Device" for CDROM path.  And in some cases there was no CDROM or DVD mounted and I had to "remove from inventory" and readd.

After that I could right click and unmount it in datastores and storage.

Lesson: Make sure all stale datastores are cleared up before upgrading to 5.0.... and umount those ISOs when finished with them.

lefcakis
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had the issue in a while.  I am not sure if VMware fixed the issue with a patch.  thanks for the help

0 Kudos
StuSims
Contributor
Contributor

Good call.  I found some old Veeam NFS datastores floating around - greyed out and useless.  "Unmounted" them and  vMotion started working.

0 Kudos
JakeP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here and resolution here, once a stale NFS datastore was deleted everything came back to life.

0 Kudos
DenTom
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue too but by rebooting the vcenter it solved the issue.

0 Kudos