VMware Cloud Community
bryony
Contributor
Contributor

What to include in Backup of vCenter server?

Hi all,

My question is regarding backup and restore of vCenter server. Basically, I want to know what components on a vCenter machine shall I backup so that in case of disaster, my vCenter server can be brought up to the configuration before disaster. Apart from obvious database backup, what other files are needed to be backed up? My question is with regards to third party backup applications such as BackupExec.

I can find an official documentation in this regard for VirtualCenter VirtualCenter Database Maintenance but couldn't locate its counterpart for vCenter. The said document calls for backup of SSL files. The same can be extended for vCenter. What could be some other stuff to include in backup schedule so that one need not remember the vCenter install configuration.

Any help/pointers is appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your database is actualy the most important part. We have vCenter and the database on two different servers. If you need to reinstall your vCenter, the database will remain intact. On the "new" vCenter server you'll need to add the two ODBC connections (vCenter and VUM database). During the installation of vCenter you can point to the remote database. The setup program will detect that there is already data inside the database. It will ask you what to do: keep the existing data or populate the database with fresh information. Be sure you have a detailed step-by-step installation document for installing vCenter in your environment. You may want to setup a test environment to test and document your disaster recovery procedure. Installing ESX and vCenter within VMware Workstation is a great test solution.

0 Kudos
bryony
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks EVW. Does that mean that there is no need to backup anything else? Not even SSL files? Will pointing to the original database during installation of new vCenter instance automatically bring all configuration and settings of vCenter back without any other manual intervention?

If not so, what are some other files (apart from SSL files) OUTSIDE database which need to be backed up and why?

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

--Oops, sorry, I see you already acknowledged SSL.

If you are using plugins then keep the SSL folder as well, makes life a lot easier.

Tim Oudin

Message was edited by: TimOudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos