VMware Cloud Community
ElGarufo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What to backup in a Virtual Center/License Server ??

Hi people,

We have a virtual center and license server (both roles in the same). What are the more important folders/files to backup?

Its an eviroment with sql 2005 express, and 3 esx.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only 'true' answer is inside you Smiley Happy depends how long you want your return to service time to be if the worst happened? The fact that the virtual centre/license server manages most critical sections of your virtual infrastructure then I would treat it is a high priority return to service machine. With this in mind only a full backup would be sufficient... If you use vRanger or something similar return to service would be a few mins Smiley Happy

I mean when your backs against the wall and the virtual environment is operating at reduced capacity do you really want the presure of having to follow 'as build' documentation to build the OS then restore the VC database? Probably not..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

only the sql 2005 vc database! --> that's enough in my opinion!

bg six

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need to save the license file as well. The license file as well as the database files will allow you to recreate your environment on a different server in case of disaster.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only 'true' answer is inside you Smiley Happy depends how long you want your return to service time to be if the worst happened? The fact that the virtual centre/license server manages most critical sections of your virtual infrastructure then I would treat it is a high priority return to service machine. With this in mind only a full backup would be sufficient... If you use vRanger or something similar return to service would be a few mins Smiley Happy

I mean when your backs against the wall and the virtual environment is operating at reduced capacity do you really want the presure of having to follow 'as build' documentation to build the OS then restore the VC database? Probably not..

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'll need to save the license file as well. The license file as well as the database files will allow you to recreate your environment on a different server in case of disaster.

-KjB

Definately your license file. Granted you could go back to vmware.com's website and get a new one created I'm sure, but it's so much easier to just pull it from a backup and go. With our bulk backups to tape that we offsite, I backup the bulk backup vm's data, the license file, the backup folder for vcenter (which includes all the translogs and backup files for the sql database). I have just about everything I need on that tape to get up and go

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "