VMware Cloud Community
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What permissions are needed to move VMs into other folders?

I'm creating a custom role for my users and want them to be able move their VMs around inside of specific folders.  I've given the users the privilege of Virtual Machine -> Inventory -> Move, and applied those rights to a folder. In the thick client everything works as expected. However the vcenter 6.0 web client fails with "This action is not available for any of the selected objects at this time." sub-folder creation, moving, and nesting are working. Am I missing something or is this another one of the web-client's permission bugs?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
flynmooney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

At what level are you applying the permission?  I've ran into a couple bugs where I had to apply the permission higher in the hierarchy than one would think.  The other gotcha I've ran into is with permissions you really have to use the web client to apply the permissions.  The reason being in the thick client you only see the permissions applied on the current object where in the web client you see all of the inherited permissions for the user/group.

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The roles and privileges were created and assigned using the thin client, then applied to a VM and templates folder directly under data center object also using the thin client.

Permissions on the root folder are set to propagate to children.

0 Kudos
flynmooney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like this one may be the weird oddity I ran into where you'd think you wouldn't have to apply rights this high.  I checked my permissions and for our limited rights users I had to add Virtual Machine -> Inventory -> Move on the datacenter object which I propagate to children. 

0 Kudos