VMware Cloud Community
Buddhi01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the difference between vcenter essentials and vcenter standard?

In vsphere 5 essential plus kit includes vcenter for essentials, i wan to know is that 100% similar to vcenter server standard?

then don't i need to purchase vcenter server seperatly.

please reply me soon.urgent

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The binaries are the same, it's just a licensing thing. The Essential Kits consist of vCenter Server for Essentials as well as 6 CPU licenses for up to 3 hosts with 2 processors each. This kit/bundle cannot be extended, which means you may only connect the hosts to the included vCenter Server and vice versa.

A vCenter Server Standard licence can handle any number of hosts (up to the supported limit) with Standard, Enterprise or Enterprise Plus licenses.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The binaries are the same, it's just a licensing thing. The Essential Kits consist of vCenter Server for Essentials as well as 6 CPU licenses for up to 3 hosts with 2 processors each. This kit/bundle cannot be extended, which means you may only connect the hosts to the included vCenter Server and vice versa.

A vCenter Server Standard licence can handle any number of hosts (up to the supported limit) with Standard, Enterprise or Enterprise Plus licenses.

André

0 Kudos
Buddhi01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks dude for your response....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf contains all the details about licensing and the features of the different editions.

André

0 Kudos
mayonnaise
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hi guys!

This kit/bundle cannot be extended, which means you may only connect the hosts to the included vCenter Server and vice versa.

so does it mean that its impossible to connect hosts licensed by Ess.Plus to vCenter Standard?

vcp4, vcp5
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes and No. The default Essentials Kits are "closed" kits which cannot be extended and have to be managed with the included vCenter Server for Essentials instance. If you are looking at the "Essentials Kit for Retail and Branch Offices" it's different. Please take a look at the Pricing and Licensing document I mentioned earlier for details.

André

0 Kudos