VMware Cloud Community
pasalott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the best practice for snapshots when updating vCenter servers in Linked mode?

We have five vCenter servers in linked mode running vCenter 6.7 U3g.  I'm preparing to update next week to vCenter 6.7 U3j. 

Is it best practice to shut down all five vCenter servers at once, then take snapshots of all five vCenter servers?  Or, is it ok to shut down one vCenter, take the snapshot, power up and update that vCenter server, then go on to the next?  I wasn't sure if due to replication, it would be best to snapshot them all at about the same time, in case all five vCenter servers would need to be rolled back due to issues.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

1. Make a note of ESXi hosts where these 5 vCenter servers are running

2. Shutdown all 5 vCenter servers

3. Take a snapshot of all 5 vCenter servers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

1. Make a note of ESXi hosts where these 5 vCenter servers are running

2. Shutdown all 5 vCenter servers

3. Take a snapshot of all 5 vCenter servers

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

If its not possible to shutdown all to take the snapshots all togueter, ensure that you are taking as close as eachother possible.

Also, you mentioned about replication, thats for the adam database or replication of vms?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
pasalott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe that would be the adam database for replication of roles, licenses, etc.  Each vCenter server shows as having a replication partner in vCenter under Administration --> System Configuration.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Ah ok perfect.

then the suggested by Ash is the best option. If not possible to shutdown, take it the closest to each other

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA