VMware Cloud Community
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What happens to templates when I remove VC ?

I am going to re-install my VC configuration to shift it to VMs. I wanted to double check what happens to the templates managed by VC when you re-install it/create a new VC server. I imagine that the templates will no longer be visible through the VI client connected to the host but will remain on the host that they where created on. When I connect the ESX server back to a VC server it will re-sync and I will be able to see the templates from the new VC.

Can some one please confirm this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Even if you'd not "see" your template anymore, you'd be able to re-register them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Even if you'd not "see" your template anymore, you'd be able to re-register them.

0 Kudos
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will have to add your templates back in your invetory of the new VC server. Templates should be removed from the host you have built them on.

George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume you mean 'should not' ?

0 Kudos
Pcparamedix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry about the typo. Yes you are corect the templates should not be removed. You just add them back into your invetory on the new VC server

George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I thought as much, just wanted to check before doing something stupid!

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just re-installed VC, how do I add the templates back in ?

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Configuration > Storage ... right click on the datastore where your templates are and "Browse Datastore ...". Right click on the vmtx file, "Add to inventory".

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, Thanks !

0 Kudos
VMGray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Can you help please? I have SCP'd a template file over to a new ESX3.0.1 host from an existing ESX3 host. When trying to add this template (.vmtx file) to the inventory using the VI Client wizard, I am prompted to supply a name but then I receive the following error :-

"The operation is not supported on the object"

The VI client is connected directly to the ESX server is this particualr case because we are having response difficulties between the VC2 sever and the ESX server (hence our SCPing the template over in the 1st place).

I have also tried using the vmware-cmd -s register method but that results in a Soap Error 1588...

Thanks

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not sure why you are having the problem but before I added the templates the correct way I was creating a new VM, using the existing VMDK from the template and then converting the VM back to a template.

0 Kudos
VMGray
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah.. interesting... I'll give it a shot... thanks

0 Kudos