VMware Cloud Community
jgillow
Contributor
Contributor

Weekly Scheduled Tasks execute on wrong day

Hi all,

I recently configured a fresh install vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1 in our environment and have 26 managed hosts, 20 of which have been upgraded to ESX 4.0 update 1 and patched to the latest revision. The rest are on ESX3.5.

I have a particular VM that has weekly scheduled clones that are set up between two of the ESX4 hosts. I create one task for Monday, one for Tuesday, one for Wednesday, and so forth. Each day gets a unique name for the clone. Once a week we purge the daily clones so that we don't get any "duplicate name" errors.

The problem I'm having is that vCenter is scheduling the tasks 1 day prior to when I am requesting them. If I create the scheduled task and tell it to clone at 8:00PM on Wednesday, it runs the task at 8:00PM on Tuesday. Every weekly task I've created is 1 day off. The date/time on the vCenter server is correct, and all of the ESX4 hosts are configured with NTP to stay synchronized.

Anybody else having this same problem? It's mostly just an annoyance for me, since the clones still function correctly but just offset by 1 day.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BUMP!

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue. I opened up a support call last year and was told that it was a bug and that they are aware of it. They hinted that it would be fixed in U1, but it wasn't. I think it has to do with the UTC offset because I am in the Central time zone and if I schedule my tasks before 6:00PM they execute on the correct day. You can test this by figuring out your time offset (mine is UTC-6) and setting your task earlier than the offset. My scheduled task runs fine at 5:59PM, but rolls a day at 6:00PM.

0 Kudos
Kieper
Contributor
Contributor

I found that upgrading the vSphere client on my workstation resolved the issue.  I was running Version 4.0.0 Build 208111.  I upgraded to Version 4.0.0 Build 258672 and was able to create and edit scheduled tasks and have them schedule for the correct dates.

0 Kudos