I got problem that Web Client is not able to connect to vCenter. It is showing message:
HTTP Status 404 - /vsphere-client/
type Status report
description The requested resource (/vsphere-client/) is not available.
I have tried to restart Web Clent Server but not helped.
Do you get any error when you try restarting the web client via command line?
We don't use the appliance.
In our testlab we found a workaround. It looks like a config fault/bug in the java configuration. The space in the default installation path "c:\program files\vmware\infrastructure" is possibly causing this issue. I found the workaround after finding the following error in the vsphere_client_virgo.log.
Error processed default web.xml named conf/web.xml at C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\conf\web.xml java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 16:
After installing the Web Client in e.g. "c:\temp" and the Web client is working. The opposite of what is described in kb204495.
I'm still looking for a solution in stead of this workaround.
There is no solution yet.
So the workaround is to :
after long time searching i found a workaround working good, even with containing spaces in folders.
In my place we are install to drive d:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient
What to do:
1. Make a symbolic link, here mklink /d D:\VWC "D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructur\vSphereWebClient"
2. Change "Value" under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vspherewebclientsvc\ImagePath] to (in my place) "D:\VDC\server\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "D:\VWC\server\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" "set.default.SERVER_HOME= D:\VWC\server" set.default.JMX_Port=9875
3. Restart Service and it works.
Hope it will help somebody.
Try to refresh the page by pressing F5. Sometimes it only need reload to connect.
If refresh still didn't work, try to retype the url again. HTTP 404 usually occur when you type wrong url or you move url.
I hope those simple step will solve your problem.
I only came across this issue when installed vCenter 5.5U2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
I did not have this issue when installing vCenter 5.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
We install our Apps to E: Apps the registry key mentioned on my 2008 server had
"E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" set.default.SERVER_HOME=E:\PROGRA~1\VMware\INFRAS~1\VSPHER~1\server set.default.JMX_PORT=9875
On the 2012 server it had
"E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" "set.default.SERVER_HOME=E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server" set.default.JMX_PORT=9875
This however does not solve the issue but may help shed some more light on it
Further to this I did the following
I turned on 8 dot 3 on the E: APP Drive
fsutil 8dot3name set E: 0
Then after rebooting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
fsutil file setshostname "E:\Program Files" PROGRA~1
Repeat this for all the sub directories
fsutil file sethostname "E:\Program Files\VMware" VMware
fsutil file sethostname "E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure" INFRAS~1
fsutil file sethostname "E:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient" VSPHER~1
Now reboot and Web Service works
Have you resolved this issue.
I'm experiencing this exact same issue in our environment.
vSphere Web Client Running on Windows 2012 Server
After Uninstall and reinstalling on different directory seems to work but does not work in the default installation directory.
Strange thing it has been working for the past 4 months.
Just seem to stop working in my primary and secondary sites.
I've seen this issue only with version 5.1. I've never changed it after I've installed it in a different folder without spaces because there was no need. In version 5.5 I use the default folder and it works.
What I can remember is that the issue had something to do with Java. Maybe you ran a Java update and that initiates the issue?
We got the same problem after upgrading our vCenter Server to 5.5 U3 running on a physical standalone windows 2012 R2 machine,
turns out the problem was that the web client was installed on our D-drive - it worked on 5.5 original/5.5 U1/5.5 U2 on the D-drive without any problems funnily enough...
We just uninstalled the web client and did a reinstall on the default C-drive and path and everything works after that. Weird though...
"HTTP Status 404
The requested requested resource is not available"
I've seen this problem for a while now and just tried latest release 5.5 U2b hoping it had been resolved (I couldn't find a reference in the release notes).
Unfortunately it is still a problem and while the rest of the components such as Single Sign On, Inventory Services and vCenter Server can be installed to another drive letter or directory, the vSphere Web Client must still be installed to the default directory of C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastucture
If you've installed vSphere Web Client to anything other than the default directory and getting the error above, the only way to resolve this is to uninstall and re-install to the default installation directory provided by the wizard.
Fingers crossed it gets fixed in vSphere 6.0!