VMware Cloud Community
aardvark
Contributor
Contributor

Web Access doesn't load in browser

I've got a newly installed virtual center 2 server that will not serve up web access to remote workstations. When you click on the web access link, the browser goes to http://ipaddress/ui and a page cannot be displayed error is presented in the browser.

web access was installed, the services are running, tomcat appears to be happy. It will load in a browser that is running on the virtual center server itself, but not on any other PC.

The virtual center server is not running any type of firewall.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
aardvark
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion adolopo. Putting the windows name in my hosts file worked. Looks like Virtual Center uses wins and pretty much \*requires* wins in order for it to operate properly. This is an extremely poor design. We don't use wins in our environment, in fact, we specifically disable it on all of our windows machines (servers and workstations).

I'll play around with DNS to see if I can make it work reliably, although with DNS suffixing it could be problematic.

Enabling wins or requiring host file settings are not an option.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

I really doubt VC requires WINS to function properly. As long as your DNS is setup properly you should not need WINS at all. If a server cannot find an entry in DNS it will try WINS next, so basically make sure your DNS is setup properly and you should not have to worry about WINS.

fyi...if you find these posts helpful, please award points using the Helpful/Correct buttons...

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

It definitely does NOT require WINS. We don't run WINS or the computer browser in our enviroment and I can access the ui from any workstation to VC correctly every time.

What do you use for a proxy, and does your browser go through the proxy for internal sites? I do usually have to add an ignore for my local subnets to get VC, HP Sim, HP iLo's and some other management tools to work correctly because they don't work well with our proxy.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
aardvark
Contributor
Contributor

We don't use a proxy. The URL that VC sends back is http://virtualcenter/ui, even if you initially access it via its IP address. This is a problem. Obviously "virtualcenter" is not a valid fully quailified hostname. Without some sort of name resolution it dies.

I created a dns name for the VC yesterday but have not had a chance to test it.

0 Kudos