VMware Cloud Community
tctatum
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere4 SQL tempdb issue

After we upgraded our ESX3 VI Client server to the new Vsphere4 I have found (the hard way!http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/shocked.gif!) that our SQL tempdb size was growing out of control (gig's per minute)... It did not help matters that the SQL Server is on a seperate box than the VI Client server, where a number of hosted databases live. After shutting down SQL several times to clear the tempdb and try and track which DB was the culprit.. I have found that the tempdb growth seems to be related to a SQL job called "Past Day stats rollupVirtualCenter" (VirtualCenter happens to be the name of our VSphere4 VC database). As soon as I found and stopped this job on our SQL server the growth of the tempdb stopped.

Does anyone know if this job is critical and/or why it would be causing the SQL server tempdb to grow until it fills the disk. I have the job stopped and disabled until I find a resolution.

If anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas as to the importance of this job and what it does for VSphere, please let me know. I am sure its there for a purpose.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If the Past Day Stats Rollup job and the other rollup jobs do not run, you will not get historical performance graphs in vCenter.

Why is it filling up TempDB? I do not know.

Nhorton
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen a similar issue on our VI4 box. Tempdb grows incredibly fast, though the stat rollup jobs are supposedly running.

0 Kudos