VMware Cloud Community
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere Storage migration - sigle vmdk file migrate to another datastore

There are running few VMs in 512GB datastore .The datastore threshold limit is exceeds so try to migrate the another LUN but there is no free space availability on that. Only option one particular VM’s VMDK file moved to another datastore.

Question is ,How to migrate single VMDK file from VM using through vsphere storage migration?

I tried Vsphere storage migration ,no option I get. VM is running on the Vcenter.With out power off VM ,How can we move single vmdk file?

Please help on this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

On the "Select Datastore" step of the Storage vMotion, click the Advanced button. This will give you the option to move single disks.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are really tight on space, you could tweak (decrease) the size of the swap file. By default it will be as big as the amount of memory of the VM, so if you have a VM with 4 GB of memory the swap file (.vswp) will be 4 GB, and probably never used (hopefully). If you change this, you will need to shut down the VMs and start it again as the swap file is deleted at shutdown and created at startup. Restart won't do the trick.

You could also move the swap files for all the VMs to another LUN and at the same time decrease its size, that way you won't have to mess with the VMs being on two separate LUNs.

This may buy you enough time to find more disk space somewhere like a cheap NAS.

Hope this helps.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
Nithiyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reply.

I tried storage motion in advanced tab .But i dont get single vmdk file migration.

Can you explain the steps in Vsphere storage motion?

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

As mentioned by the previous poster, when starting the migration at the Select Datastore screen, click the Advanced button. This will change the screen to show each of the disks attached to the virtual machine you are migrating. Under the Datastore column you will see Current Location which you click on to select a Datastore to move this vmdk too. You can change the Datastore for the one vmdk you want to move, however remember you have to move the configuration file as well in order for the migration to be successful.

I trust this has helped with the move.

0 Kudos