VMware Cloud Community
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion times out at 90%

ESX v 3.0.2, VC 2..0.2

Whenever I try to migrate (vmotion) a server to my new server, it goes 90% in and hangs for a while then times out.

ANy help is appreciated

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

sounds like a network issue on your vmkernel which is used by the vmotion.

regards.

Michael

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

When it times out it should give you an error. What does it give you?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

All I get is "Operation Timed out"

For this particular cluster, 3 ESX servers are 3.0.1 and the new one is 3.0.2, is that ok or do they all have to be the exact version?

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

You can try this for more information:

tail -f /var/log/vmkernel

start your Vmotion as it is running the logs are going to start generating in the vmkernel file, when it fails see if you can see the reason...

Sidenote, are you using NAS/NFS for your backend storage? If so, do you have both servers either using IP or FQDN to access it? If one is using IP and the other is using FQDN that might cause it to fail.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is your vmotion network (vmkernel) running at 100mb/s or 1GB?

What apps are running on the server you are trying to vmotion? SQL? Exchange?

VMotion will usually time out at 90% if it cannot do the final move of the running memory state etc of the VM due to traffic on the vmkernel network.

Message was edited by: java_cat33

0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Well as if by magic...vmotion is working now.....ugh!

thanks for all that tried to help

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Was there a change made on your network?

0 Kudos