VMware Cloud Community
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion - operation time out after 10%

Hi,

When get the above errors when try to vmotion a VM from one host to another, someone suggested that it is related to network and can try vmkping between the ESX servers. My questions are:

1) What is the syntex of vmkping??

2) Which IP address should we ping from the source host to the traget host, should it be the IP address that we assign to vmotion??

3) If no reply from the ping, then what does it indicates??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

1) The syntax for vmkping is: vmkping <ip address>

2) You should ping the ip address of the vmkernel address that is enabled for VMotion

3) If you get no response that means the host you are pinging from can not get to the destination hosts VMotion enabled vmkernel port -

Also do you get any error message in the VI Client? Is it just a time out message - do you get the same message when try to VMotion the other way?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

I did not get any other error message.

However, when I tried it today, it works with no problem.

Strange!!

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Here is the syntax

vmkping

args:

-D vmkernel TCP stack debug mode (This is what I use to check if its healthy. It ICMP's all kernel networks and the gateway)

-c <count> set packet count

-i <interval> set interval

-s <size> set send size (ICMP payload)

-v verbose ( shows a little more info like MTU and which kernel)

examples

vmkping -D

vmkping -v hostname

vmkping -v 172.22.0.100

2. Use vmkping -v -D and vmkping the remote VMotion IP address.

3. Wrong gateway IP, VLAN config issue. Physical connection issue.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I usually just write vmkping . If it fails it's a network problem (wrong ip, wrong subnet, no connection, e.g.). Assume that everything is incorrectly configured and start with physical cables, duplex and speed and then move on to vlans (if that is used), ip adresses, subnet masks, default gw, e.g. vnics and verify port groups in VC or VIC.

Sometimes it helps to disable and enable vmotion.

0 Kudos
kaychan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the valuable info.

0 Kudos