VMware Cloud Community
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion error- Multi-answer question encountered while resuming destination

I can't VMotion a 3 disk VM from 3.0 to a 3.0.1 server using VC 2.0.1. I get the following error after it gets about 90% migrated: "A general system error occured: Multi-answer question encountered while resuming destination. Unable to proceed."

I've actually tried migrating this same VM from 3.0 to 3.0 and I still get the same error. I found this error in the following thread, but it doesn't apply because I don't have the parallel port setup. http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/388/2284_f.SAL_Public.html

Has anyone seen this error? Not finding much on the forum or Google.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

Found this in /var/log/vmkwarning

Oct 20 14:11:02 vm3 vmkernel: 36:21:02:06.011 cpu7:1406)WARNING: Migrate: 1145: 4229997538: Failed: Failed to resume VM (0

xbad0043) @0x89fac0

0 Kudos
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

I've discovered vmware.log and am creating a support ticket for the issue. I'll follow-up here when I'm complete. Below is the excerpt from vmwware.log showing my ESX server throwing its hands up.

Oct 20 14:11:03.914: vmx| Msg_Post: Error

Oct 20 14:11:03.914: vmx| \[msg.log.error.unrecoverable] VMware ESX Server unrecoverable error: (vmx)

Oct 20 14:11:03.914: vmx| Multi-answer question encountered. Killing VM.

Oct 20 14:11:03.914: vmx| \[msg.panic.haveLog] A log file is available in "vmware.log". \[msg.panic.haveCore] A core file is available in "/vmfs/volumes/4501d98c-82f6c2f4-3194-0013725eebe4/FS1/vmware-vmx-zdump.5". \[msg.panic.requestSupport.withLogAndCore] Please request support and include the contents of the log file and core file.

0 Kudos
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

I understand how I caused the problem now. I read more of the vmware.log and found the below events during the Vmotion event.

+++excerpt from vmware.log +++++

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| DISK: adapterType mismatch for scsi0:2

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| DISK: config file says: 'lsilogic'

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| DISK: DDB ID disk says: 'buslogic'

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| Msg_Question:

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| \[msg.disk.adapterMismatch] The disk connected to the scsi0:2 node has been created for a BusLogic SCSI adapter, but the virtual machine's scsi0 device is a LSI Logic SCSI adapter.

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| VMware ESX Server can change the disk's adapter type to LSI Logic. Use caution; if a guest operating system is installed on this disk, it may not be able to boot.

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| Do you want VMware ESX Server to change the adapter type for scsi0:2 disk?----

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| Migrate: Question with 2 answers encountered. Destination VM cannot resume. Failing migration...

Oct 21 08:10:11.260: vmx| MigrateStatusFailure: Multi-answer question encountered while resuming destination. Unable to proceed.

-

end excertp \-------

This is what caused the problem.

1. I created a 1 disk VM with Windows 2003 Standard through the VI Client. This creates the LSI controller by default.

2. I added a second disk through the VI Client which creates the disk for a LSI controller.

3. The third disk I created with vmkfstools from the COS but I didn't specify the adaptertype so it created the disk as buslogic instead of lsilogic. The weird thing is I was still able to attach this disk to the LSI controller in the VI Client later on.

The VM ran fine until I tried to VMotion it. I have solved the problem by removing that disk and creating a new disk with the correct adaptertype. Now I can Vmotion just fine.

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cool stuff, I have exactly the same problem right now. I've also added a second disk created via COS (and thus being a BUS Logic default)

Seems like a bug in the system since this disk just worked on the LSI Controller.

Isn't there a way to manually change the Disk Type instead of re-adding a new disk to it?

Vmware mentions: Do you want VMware ESX Server to change the adapter type for scsi0:2 disk?[/i]

So there must be some kind of command to initiate this manually.

When I discover some more I'll post it here

Cheers,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Found the solution:

1) Power down the VM

2) Change the SCSI Card from LSI Logic to Bus Logic.

3) Reconfiguration will take place[/i] Don't start the VM!

4) Change the SCSI Card from Bus Logic to LSI Logic

5) Reconfiguration will take place[/i]

6) Start the VM, when starting VI tells you that one of the harddisks is configured with a Bus Logic adapter and asks you if you want to change it.

Da daaaaaaaaa...

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if you're CLI-inclined: power off the VM, use the service console to edit the something.vmdk (300-byte) metadata file and replace buslogic with lsilogic, and power the VM on again.

0 Kudos
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor

Cool stuff, I have exactly the same problem right

now. I've also added a second disk created via COS

(and thus being a BUS Logic default)

I also had this problem but it was caused by a Virtual Machine imported by the VMWare Converter.

Carlo.

Carlo Costanzo | http://www.VMwareInfo.com | @ccostan
0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

I have seen this type of issue a couple of times, im sure the customer ended up rebuilding, which would of cured the problem.. I'll revist see if its the same for those that still encounter it..??

0 Kudos
JeevanV
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, your solution is applicable but I found that the correct procedure is:

1) Power down the VM

2) Change the SCSI Card from LSI Logic to Bus Logic.

3) Reconfiguration will take place Start the VM! and press OK when the msg box about SCSI controller ask to change controller type.

4) Power Down Virtual Machine

5) Change the SCSI Card from Bus Logic to LSI Logic

6) Reconfiguration will take place Start the VM! and press OK when the msg box about SCSI controller ask to change controller type.

Enjoy your reconfigured Virtual Machine! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi I have also this problem, my windows 2000 server is configured with bus logic, is it mandatory to configure the vm with lsi logic ?

Or I have just to change from Bus Logic to LSI Logic, start the VM and change it again LSI Logic to Bus Logic ??

Regards

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
bopp
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with bertdb's answer:

You can even do it while the VM is running to save having to have downtime

use the service console to edit the something.vmdk (300-byte) metadata file and replace buslogic with lsilogic.

Now you can Vmotion the VM without a problem and it won't prompt you at power up.

0 Kudos