VMware Cloud Community
kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Vmotion Warning

Hi,

since updating to VC2.5 and a having a mix of 3.02 and 3.5 hosts in a farm we get a warning when trying to vmotion Windows NT Machines.

"Migration from host1: Device 'Hard Disk 1' uses a controller that ist not supported. This is not a limitation of the host in general, but of the virtual machine's configured guest OS on this host."

What does this mean exactly? Will we run into troubles if we skip this one?

Chris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've seen this error if you have USB controller in your virtual hardware. What kind of scsi controller is your disk using? What other virtual hardware do you have configured?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hi,

no, there are no usb controllers connected.

The warning is shown when we want to migrate a "windows nt" guest with LSI Logic Scsi Controllers.

Thought a few months ago it was recommend to use LSI instead of Bus Logic with windows nt machines - now the inverted recoms?

Chris

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The lsilogic driver works faster than the buslogic driver, but it is not included by default. If you already have the lsilogic driver and controller working, then great. Typically, this is not the case, as the vm's are usually built with the default buslogic controller, and it is difficult to change this after the fact.

Are you getting this error when trying to vmotion from any ESX to any ESX, or only from one version to a different version , i.e. 3.0.2 -> 3.5 or vice versa?

-KjB

kri-2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi KjB,

thanks, this helped me a lot.

But one thing. These warnings occur since 3.5 and even when migrating vms (that have already been migrated) between 3.5 hosts.

Is there a way to get rid of this message?

Chris

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure if there is a way to get rid of the warning or not. 3.5 is more strict in its checks, and this may be another "feature" that 3.5 added.

-KjB

rminick
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting this same 'warning' when migrating from one 3.5 to another with a Redhat Enterprise guest. It was previously on a 3.02 box and we didn't see this happen there. I assume it's a bogus warning? This one is using Buslogic. I can still manually migrate it but will DRS be able to do it with the warning?

Richard J Minick, VCP
0 Kudos