VMware Cloud Community
Saker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion Between Farms

Just a quick question.

Is it possible to move a server using Vmotion between two different VM farms? The farms are on different sites on different subnets.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Stefan,

RE: VMotion, DRS and HA only enable within a cluster itself so you can't VMotion anything outside of the cluster.

Your a vExpert so I know this isn't exactly what you intended to say. VMotion can be done outside of a cluster. The main requirement is that both the source and destination host have VMKernel ports on the same subnet, not that they need to be in the same cluster. DRS and HA work within the cluster, but VMotion can be done to destinations outside of the cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No Vmotion between 2 seperate network/farms

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMotion, DRS and HA only enable within a cluster itself so you can't VMotion anything outside of the cluster. What are you trying to accomplish so we can see if they is anything we can help.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if using vCenter your best bet is a cold migration. Power down the vm and choose migrate

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Stefan,

RE: VMotion, DRS and HA only enable within a cluster itself so you can't VMotion anything outside of the cluster.

Your a vExpert so I know this isn't exactly what you intended to say. VMotion can be done outside of a cluster. The main requirement is that both the source and destination host have VMKernel ports on the same subnet, not that they need to be in the same cluster. DRS and HA work within the cluster, but VMotion can be done to destinations outside of the cluster.

0 Kudos
Saker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks guys for all your replies. I was reading a design document and just wanted validate a few statements out of it. The design consists of 2 data centres each with a seperate VM cluster farm within each and connected via routers. The two farms are attached to sperate EMC storage within each data centre where the VKLM's are replicated between the primary and secondary centres. Upon failover or DR of a Data centre, the VM server is vmotioned to the other Data centre farm. Hmmmm? Not sure how the replicated VKLM is picked up and used? I guess the VM isn't streamed over? Not sure?

0 Kudos