VMware Cloud Community
pageda79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualizing vCenter and Patching ESX Hosts

I've got a two host HA cluster with VSphere Essentials Plus, so no vMotion. (I know...budget restrictions though). This is a brand new infrastructure, so I've only got one VM...my vCenter server running on host 1 (supported config in a small environment such as mine)

I'm using VUM to patch my ESX hosts which requires the hosts to have no VM's running and be in maintenance mode.

The problem: How can I migrate my virtual vCenter server to my other host so I can put host 1 in maintenance mode and patch it (requires vCenter to be running).

My thought: Both hosts can see the LUN for the vCenter server. I think I can go into host 1, power off the VM, and then remove from inventory. Then I go to host 2, browse the LUN datastore and ADD it to its inventory. Is that correct? If so, which file in the datastore do I connect to the host (vmx, vmdk, etc)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My thought: Both hosts can see the LUN for the vCenter server. I think I can go into host 1, power off the VM, and then remove from inventory. Then I go to host 2, browse the LUN datastore and ADD it to its inventory. Is that correct? If so, which file in the datastore do I connect to the host (vmx, vmdk, etc)

</div>

yes, that will work, but you will have to attach the baseline to one host at a time. You would add to inventory the .vmx

Or use command line

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

</div>

yes, that will work, but you will have to attach the baseline to one host at a time. You would add to inventory the .vmx

Or use command line

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm running vcenter as a virtual server. You can do vmotion of the virtual center without any issues.

There is no need to remove and add it manually to inventory!!

Award Points if helpful!!