VMware Cloud Community
skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualcenter 2.0.2 service will not start after fresh install.

Setup

Server 1: Database server running SQL Server 2005

Server 2: (W2K3R2 with latest SP and patches) Management Server with Virtual Center 2.0.2 with the System DSN: vmware and DB name: vmware. Do I need to enter any specific system DSN and DB name?

Test successful for ODBC connectivity.

Checked SQL server DB after installation, all tables have been created.

Basically when I try to start my VMware VirtualCenter Server service after fresh install for the first time, it times out with the following message:

"The VMware VirtualCenter Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

When I goto the Event Viewer, I have this Error.

Source: VMware VirtualCenter Server

Type: Error

Event ID: 1000

Description:

The description for Event ID (1000) in Source (VMware VirtualCenter Server) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to initialize VMware VirtualCenter.

I will post vpx log when I get access to server again. Error log from event viewer attached.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try to change logon service user for an Administrator account and check this:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jccoca
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try to change logon service user for an Administrator account and check this:

0 Kudos
skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jccoca, I'll try this article out tomorrow and will let you know. Infact initially the error I was getting was different. I was getting logon failure in vpx log. I installed SQL2005 native client in VC and configured ODBC to use this driver. Now I am getting exactly same error as in the article you sent.

0 Kudos
DJ-PIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Skishore

Try looking at this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=6565318&sl...

"Although Microsoft has introduced the "SQL Native Client" ODBC driver with SQL Server 2005, the only supported ODBC driver for use with VirtualCenter Server is the "SQL Server" driver."

Are you using SQL or NT authentication ?

If you are using NT authentication make sure you dont specified credentials for the database under the installation of Virtual Center.

Look at page 60-62 in this guide:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_installation_guide.pdf

BR

Daniel

skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jccoca.

Problem fixed using the article you sent.

Cheers

0 Kudos