VMware Cloud Community
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter service not starting on reboot

My VC server VirtualCenter service will not start automatically on reboot. The SQL 2005 Express edition is installed on the same VM. I have the VC service set to depend on MSSQLSERVER, but it has not made a difference. The event viewer logs show VC trying to hit SQL before it's ready, so I assume that MSSQLSERVER shows started, and then VC tries to start, but SQL is not quite ready yet even though it's started. Anyone else having this problem and have a good way to fix it? It is not helpful to have to log into the ESX host to start the VC service every time...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
45 Replies
slebbon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this same problem for awhile. One thing that seemed to help was adding a 4th dependecy after SQL server...something else that started 'late' to give time for SQL to finish starting up.

0 Kudos
Ameha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same and all the suggestions above did not solve my problem. I opened a SR with vmware and this solved my issue.

1. Create a .bat file with following script:

net start MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 30 -w 1000 > null

net start vpxd

2. Set script to run on boot. For 2003 systems:

• Open the local computer policy (Start > Run and type in gpedit.msc and press Enter)

• Expand Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts

• In the right-hand pane, double-click Startup and add your script.

3. Set SQL and VC services to manual startup.

And reboot the server.

jaypalewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Ameha for posting your instructions! After a recent reboot of our Virtual Center Server, I found that my fix did not work anyway. I implemented your fix and things seem to be working properly.

Jay

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I re-installed Win2K3 for vSphere 4 and had the same problem. I have been able to fix it by changing "VMware Virtual Center Service" to have a depency for "SQL Server (SQLEXP_VIM). You can find instructions on the Microsoft website on how to edit service registry keys to create dependicies, but I did it with a copy of Service+ from Active+ Software. I have no association with the company but they have some handy tools. Their URL is http://www.activeplus.com/Products/ServicePlus.

I hope this helps others. Post a reply if it does!

0 Kudos
Tirelibirefe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I find the correct service name of the service?

net start MSSQL$VIM_SQLEXP >> That command doesnt run on me. My server is showing MSSQL$VIM_SQLEXP as the name of the service but power shell says there is no such a service.

0 Kudos
AlexanderKurnit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For me the following fix works perfectly on two different servers, that had a problem with starting before the change:

sc.exe config vpxd depend= ProtectedStorage/lanmanworkstation/MSSQL"$"VIM_SQLEXP/VMwareSTS

I've just added to vCenter dependencies VmWare Security Token Service

0 Kudos