VMware Cloud Community
deasyp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VirtualCenter server service does not start after server migration

Hi,

I would be very grateful if someone could advise on the errors I'm getting, following a virtual centre server migration.

I have a older VirtualCentre (Ver 2.5 U4) , call it server A, which I'm replacing with a new physical box, Server B, (also VC2.5 U4 installed).

Both servers have SQL2005 SP3 installed locally. Both servers are running the Vmware licence server locally.

Both have the identical hostnames and IP addresses.

My migration process, from server A to Server B has been as follows (based on the processes used by others on this forum);

On server A

• Stopped all Vmware services

• In SQL, took a backup of the DB

• Detatched the VirtualCentre DB and took a copy of this

• Disjoined Server A from ActiveDirectory Domain

On Server B

• Joined Server B to Active Directory domain - now on the domain with the hostname of Server A

• Installed SQL2005, then SP3, rebooted

• Installed VirtualCentre (2.5 U4) , configured the ODBC to talk to the local SQL server.

• After a reboot, I stopped all VirtualCentre services, opened SQL and detatched the clean Virtual centre DB

• Attached the VirtuaCentre DB from Server A

• Then started the licence service, followed by the virtual centre service.... but the virtual service is now failing when trying to start.

No sign of a vpx-.log file, but in the windows application log I get the following two errors (thisoccurs each time I attempt to start the virtual centre service);

EventID 824 SOURCE MSSQLSERVER

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:52040; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:52040) in database ID 5 at offset 0x00000019690000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\VirtualCentre_Data.MDF'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB).

EVENTID 1000 SOURCE Vmware VirtualCentre Service

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....+

In SQL I get the same error message as the eventid 82, preceeded with an Error: 824, Severity: 24, State: 2.

I have tried running a DBCC CHECKDB (VirtualCentre, repair_allow_data_loss) in SQL, which did appear to correct errors in SQL but doesn't fix the virtual center service starting problem.

On the server A, there was never an issue with SQL, so I'm a bit stumped as to why there would be issues, in migrating the DB over to an identically setup machine?

Is there anyway to proceed with a clean database, without having to offline my ESX servers,and have the ESX servers re-join the new physical VirtualCentre server ?? I'm not bothered about the performance data, if I could keep the permissions setttings for the virtual machines that would be great, but if it's not possible, it's an inconvenience I can live without. My main priority is to be able to get backto managing the ESX hosts and virtual machines through virtual centre.

any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

PD

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

In kb 5850444, it is recommended to restore the SQL database first, then run the vCenter installer and select "use existing database." EventID 824 might also be related to hardware problems. It might be worth trying the restore order mentioned in the kb, but with a database consistency check run before the vCenter install begins.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
deasyp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks vmroyale for the assistance.

It turns out that the problem was down to the SQL backup file that I was using!!

(The ever-important reminder to always double-check your backups before starting into procedures like this!)

I had origionally put all my backup files onto a portable drive, as I was doing the install on the new host (using a loopback adapter) as not to have two identical machines clashing on the network.

When I was restoring the DB backup onto the new server, I was reading the backup off the portable drive.

Things went south, as described, so the best course of action was to get the older host (server A) back onto the network and try to get things back operational. So I renamed the server and put it on the network along with the server B. I uninstalled everything from the new server, (server B) except SQL (unisntalled all VMware components and ODBC settings on the new server), so that I could start fresh.

After rebooting the server, I tried a DB copy from Server A -> B, using the using the SQL wizard. This wasn't happening and I didn't want to waste too much time trying to figure it out, so for some reason instead of using the .BAK file on my portable drive I copied the drive over the network direct from A -> B . And tried again, another SQL restore from BAK, which worked !!

It turns out for some reason the SQL BAK file was corrupted on my portable drive (timestamps and filesizes were the same)..

anyways lesson learned... onto the next headache.

thanks again for the prompt assistance.

PD

0 Kudos